Mitchell Shire Council determined moving to Azure could provide compliant, secure and scalable disaster recovery and a future-proofed platform to explore moving their backup, SQL Server and site recovery to the cloud.
The next step was to partner with an experienced cloud consultancy who could assess their current environment and determine the best way forward with a robust cloud master plan and transition roadmap.
The council defined several key business requirements they needed from a cloud strategy:
- Ability to realise cost optimisation opportunities
- Improved disaster recovery (DR) capabilities
- Improved security and governance outcomes
- Retirement of Microwave links and full move into Azure
The council directly engaged Microsoft to find a partner experienced with cloud infrastructure migration and optimisation. Meeting the council’s requirements, Xello soon joined the team, working closely with Kamran to map out the council’s cloud journey in the form of the Azure MasterPlan.
Based on existing applications and infrastructure as well as future growth areas, Xello’s Azure MasterPlan solution established a cost-effective pattern for transforming Mitchell Shire Council through the efficient consumption of public cloud services. Utilising a cloud readiness framework, Xello reviewed MSC’s infrastructure and services currently deployed, and ran discovery to align Azure’s DR capabilities with MSC’s backup and disaster recovery requirements and objectives.
The Azure MasterPlan took MSC through the integration, network and security benefits if they moved to the cloud, helping them better understand what the cloud offers and to establish a long-term strategy which provided the following:
- Cost Model Analysis: Cost analysis of existing services and infrastructure and a 3-year Total Cost Analysis (TCO) on the estimated transition to the cloud, which calculated cost savings of 30% over a 3 year-period on Microsoft Azure.
- Cloud Architecture: An extensive plan covering the benefits of IaaS/PaaS/SaaS/DRaaS to outline the cloud’s different capabilities, fit to MSC’s goals.
- Strategic Roadmap: A plan outlining a cloud roadmap in three stages: now, next, and horizon, aligned to MSC’s goals.
For Mr Changezi, the solution gave the council valuable direction on the benefits of the cloud.
“The Azure MasterPlan has helped us understand much better, for example, ‘if this is the size of your data and this is the DR requirements, you will end up paying x amount on a yearly basis – and as you grow, or you don’t utilise it, you pay accordingly’,” he said. “It was a really clear picture and it gave us the confidence to move into the cloud this year.”
“With this roadmap, it’s clear we’re not going to waste resources in Azure, and the whole platform can grow as we grow. We don’t have to invest every five years in expensive infrastructure any longer and try to maintain it and face repair problems.”