The best reports don’t just show data - they both contain and tell a full story with it. End users might only judge reports on appearance, but
The best reports don’t just show data – they both contain and tell a full story with it.
End users might only judge reports on appearance, but as the data expert, you know the underlying data model and its calculations are the core foundation to a successful BI solution.
Xello’s data analytics training course is focused on helping you learn the key technical skills around data modelling and DAX in Power BI. With hands-on demonstrations and interactive workshops, we will break down complex topics into smaller understandable pieces to help you solve complex real-life problems, and design reports that are both visually stunning and follow best practices.
The team at Xello is dedicated to helping you become more data savvy and produce better reports and timely insights. Leverage the technical expertise of our resident DAX guru Hunter Shen and sharpen your data knowledge across the following key topics:
- Fundamental skills around data modelling and visualisation with DAX & Power BI
- Best practices around data model design
- Effective DAX formulas, calculated columns and measures
- How Syntax, Functions and Context work in DAX
- Table relationships and filtering with DAX
- Understanding of how DAX can solve many types of analytical challenges
What will this course cover?
- Module 1 – Overview of Power BI & BI development cycle
- Module 2 – Connect to a sample dataset & calendar table
- Module 3 – Working with DAX: Calculated column & Measures
- Module 4 – Working with DAX: Time intelligence Function
- Module 5 – Working with DAX: Role Playing Dimension
- Module 6 – Build a dashboard on sample dataset (Hands on Lab 1)
- Module 7 – Data modelling: Fact & Dimension Table
- Module 8 – Advanced data modelling: Type 2 Slowing Changing Dimension
- Module 9 – Build a second dashboard on Fact & Dimension tables (Hands on Lab 2)
Who is this course for?
- Intermediate business analysts who want to have a better tool for playing with the data and learn how to produce actionable insights easier.
- Developers and consultants who want to know how to develop solutions with Power BI.
- BI architects and decision-makers who want to use Power BI in their BI applications.
- Passionate data experts who want a deeper dive into DAX & Power BI’s capabilities.
- BYOL (Bring your own laptop)
- Power BI Desktop Installed (we can help you with this if not)
- SQL Server Management Studio (Optional)
About Our Trainer
Hunter Shen is a Business Intelligence Consultant at Xello. He has a master’s degree in BI and Data Warehousing and has worked with Microsoft Power BI and its data modelling capabilities since its original release. Hunter has extensive experience delivering data analytics and BI solutions for Tier 1 and SMB across multiple industries (Finance, Retail, Sales, Manufacturing, Government, Utility, Telecommunications) and helping businesses leverage better reporting.
(Tuesday) 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Level 8, 607 Bourke Street
Details Meetup Agenda • 5:45pm - Arrive, meet & greet, drinks • 6:10pm - Welcome & intro - Mahmoud Draj/Greg Nash • 6:15pm - Presentation - Brett Randall • 7:15pm
• 5:45pm – Arrive, meet & greet, drinks
• 6:10pm – Welcome & intro – Mahmoud Draj/Greg Nash
• 6:15pm – Presentation – Brett Randall
• 7:15pm – Wrap up
Session: Recently, Microsoft announced PowerApps Portals, an app that can be shared on a public website for external use. In this session, we’ll explain what they are, what they cost and build one to show what they can do.
Bio – Brett Randall is an O365 Specialist from Rapid Circle. His goal is to help customers get the most out of the Office 365 suite with minimum code (ideally none!).
A big thank you goes out to our sponsor, Xello , for their support of this Meetup; providing the venue as well as drinks for attendees.
Xello is a cloud and data consultancy based in Melbourne, providing business solutions around the Microsoft Azure ecosystem that drive our customers’ success. Xello is an award-winning Microsoft Gold Partner and works with a diverse number of enterprise customers across various sectors, including FSI, Government, Health, Professional Services and Retail.
Xello is always on the lookout for talented individuals. If you think you’d be a fit for Xello, get in touch.
Dear Watson (https://powerbiprofessionals.com/)
A big thank also to our co-sponsor, Dear Watson, for their ongoing support of our Meetup and providing us with food for each event.
(Thursday) 5:45 pm - 7:45 pm
Level 8, 607 Bourke Street